Presenter: Amber Ramseyer MS, OTR/L, SWC, CYT
Facilitator: Kim Reese OTD, MOTR/L, YT
This course is designed to teach occupational therapists a sensory based guide to yoga to use as a modality to enhance occupational performance and improve the health and wellbeing of the clients they serve. Occupational therapists will have the opportunity to engage in hand-on learning labs to improve their knowledge of the proper alignment and body positioning when using yoga as well as adaptations and modifications to allow for every client the opportunity to access the benefits of this intervention. This course will explain the relationship between yoga and sensory integration and how mindfulness, meditation, breath work and postures can impact the nervous system having a positive effect on mental health and wellbeing.
1. Identify and differentiate sensory integration philosophy and history and how it can impact daily life, development and learning.
2. Identify and differentiate yoga philosophy and history and its benefits for the body.
3. Recognize the relationship between sensory integration and yoga.
4. Identify mindfulness interventions and breathing techniques, and recognize the impact on the brain, nervous system, body and mental health.
5. Demonstrate knowledge to position and align ones own body and others to safely use yoga as a modality.
6. Knowledge of adaptations and modifications to allow for every child to safely access poses and how to motivate children to actively participate making the activity meaningful.
7. Demonstrate sensory-based yoga intervention techniques and explain the positive impact this can have on everyday skills and development.
Detailed schedule of the course
The course is presented on a retreat. The main focus is Sensory Integration and Yoga, 20 continuing education hours with a secondary focus (not included in the total continuing education hours) on mindfulness and life balance for burnout prevention and wellbeing of the practitioners themselves. Since the groups (12-14 people) are small a detailed intake form is collected from participants to tailor the lecture to mirror the level of knowledge of the participants as much as possible. Yoga classes separate from the continuing education portion will be provided daily which are optional. A meditation excursion is offered one afternoon during the retreat. The following includes the continuing education portion in this application but the outlined schedule for other activities can be found on the webpage about half way down the page.Or I am happy to provide that information to you if you would like. After the course there will be 5 video conference meetings every 2 months over the following year focused on continued development, review, problem solving, overall collaboration on strategies, barriers and benefits.