Why we’re here
Making lives fit for living.
To enable engaged, meaningful lives, for everyone by encouraging occupational therapy excellence.
What makes us different?
WFOT is the international voice for occupational therapy.
We are a global network of 107 member organisations, representing 633,000 occupational therapists.
We set the standard for occupational therapy education internationally and promote excellence in research and practice.
Our annual occupational therapy day raises awareness for the profession and provides a platform to celebrate and exchange the diversity of our members.
As a worldwide body we represent the profession in its role of improving world health and wellbeing.
Who are we here for?
A global community of occupational therapists seeking to improve their practice, its recognition on an international level and its understanding in the wider world health context. We are their platform for debate and knowledge and their support for research and credentials.
WFOT promotes occupational therapy as an art and science internationally. The Federation supports the development, use and practice of occupational therapy worldwide, demonstrating its relevance and contribution to society.
The World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) believes that:
- Occupational therapy has a valuable contribution to make to occupational performance as it affects the health and well-being of people.
- It can positively influence health, welfare, education and vocation at an international level.
- The effectiveness of the Federation depends on its contribution and collaboration with other international organisations.
- It can positively influence the development of excellence within the profession.
- The effectiveness of the Federation depends on it being responsive to the professional needs, issues and requirements of members.
- It must be built on co-operation, high ethical standard and mutual respect at all levels.
- It engages in political activities and advocacy in matters directly related to its purposes. It will not take a position on a political agenda of any particular national or international party, or of any nation(s), unless it relates to the WFOT’s purpose.
- The success of the Federation is dependent on the development and maintenance of a strong unified leadership of the WFOT Council.
- Its members are the most important asset.
Code of Ethics
The WFOT Code of Ethics (revised 2016) describes the general categories of appropriate conduct for occupational therapists in any professional circumstance. It is understood that each member association will have a detailed code of ethics particular to its needs.
The WFOT Code of Ethics is available in the Practice Development Category of the Resources.
Right to access occupations
The WFOT fully endorses the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Global conditions that threaten the right to occupation include poverty, disease, social discrimination, displacement, natural and man-made disasters and armed conflict. In addition, the right to occupation is subject to cultural beliefs and customs, local circumstances and institutional power and practices. WFOT strongly condemns any action or circumstance that infringes the rights of all human beings to live purposeful and engaged lives and to go about their daily business in safety and peace.